‘Insecurities kills all that is beautiful’- Demi Lovato. The flow of thoughts in the human mind is inevitable. Our mind is like a thinking machine that can have a gazillion thoughts at one time. While we have good thoughts too but most of them create worries, anxiety, and insecurities. The big question is ‘how to overcome insecurities’ that are ruining the present moment and holding the abundance of life. Read the blog to discover the best ways to build your self-esteem.
How to Overcome Insecurities that Indirectly Are a Part of Life
1. To Be Perfect
‘You were born to be real, not to be an epitome of perfection.’ To be perfect in everything is the race of the 21st century. While running in this race, we often forget to question, whether investing time is worth it or not? From the day we enter the 1st standard in school to the last of life, we are busy being someone else. We want everything to be perfect in our lives, be it grades, job, duplex apartment, life partner, we just want everything to be best. We forget the fact that real happiness and beauty lies in imperfections. We don’t embrace our imperfections and that is the main reason for our insecurities. Life does not always go the way we plan, sometimes things are beyond control. And, when this happens, you get a little less than what is called ‘perfection’ or ‘best’, you start blaming yourself. This blaming is the way to insecurities and you begin to question your worth.
Ways to Overcome the Insecurity of Perfectionism
- Try to take a holistic picture of your situation.
- Invest time on yourself and prioritize self-care.
- Learn the art of saying ‘NO’. Don’t indulge in everything instead focus on what is essential.
- Multi-tasking is not always essential. Doing things one by one is perfectly okay.
- Take a few hours daily to refresh and relax. Don’t think that it is a waste of time.
- Set realistic goals and expectations.
- Learn to recognize when your idea of being perfect is holding you back.
- Accept the fact that you cannot excel at every single thing.
2. Social Anxiety Can Drive You Mad
‘Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy just to be normal’- Albert Camus. One of the biggest insecurities can be the fear of being judged or evaluated by others in social scenarios like parties, events, get-togethers, interviews, and so on. Many of us feel uncomfortable and self-conscious while at a social gathering. There are two reasons for social anxiety:
- It may be because of past experiences. Maybe in childhood, these people are bullied in school, college, or any other event.
- Pressure from the family of being the best is also a common reason for social anxiety.
Ways to Overcome Social Anxiety
- Be present and aware of your thoughts in a positive and non-judgemental manner.
- Identify and challenge your negative thoughts. Start questioning yourself why you react in a certain manner.
- Stop focussing on yourself. Don’t chatter with yourself instead focus in the present moment.
- Encourage yourself to face your fears.
- Make a conscious effort and engage in social conversations.
- Count your breath and take control of your body when you feel anxious in a social gathering.
3. Supportive People in Life are Essential
‘Surround yourself with people who will lift you higher in life.’ It’s a kind of comfort to have supportive people in life. These are the people who feel happy to see you succeed. They make you feel accepted and confident. Seeing yourself from the perspective of people who love and support you will help you to see your unique qualities and abilities.
4. Work Insecurity
One of the biggest questions in people’s lives is how to overcome insecurities while at work. Insecurity at work is common because we all want to be the best and can’t comprise with less. But, in this race, we often forget that efforts are important not the result. When there is security at work, we often start finding flaws in other people. Work insecurity creates self-sabotaging thoughts and we often start comparing ourselves with other people.
Ways to Overcome Work Insecurity
- Don’t ignore your anxieties. Address them and try to fix them by yourself or with someone’s help.
- Boosts your skills through additional courses that correlate with your career paths.
- Never forget your positive qualities instead celebrate them.
- Have a heartful conversation with someone experienced to bounce your worries.
5. Value Yourself
‘The moment you start valuing yourself, the whole world starts valuing you.’ As said earlier, no one is perfect and at some or the other point, we are often surrounded by insecurities. What matters is that you should never forget to value yourself. You may not be perfect and that is perfectly okay. Try to focus on the contributions you are making rather than your shortcomings.
There is no one on earth who has no insecurities. It is just that some are better at dealing with their insecurities. There are ceaseless ways of insecurities that are influencing our behavior and self-image. It’s normal to feel insecure a day or two but in the long run, it can ruin your life. From your physical health to mental balance, it can destroy all the happiness of the present moment. Hope this blog helps you to find the answer to ‘How to Overcome Insecurities.’
Aditi is a passionate blogger and content marketer who loves to pen down her thoughts and experiences. With more than 3 years of experience in content, she can write about vivid domains including entertainment, health, fashion, food, lifestyle, technology, travel. She is also a tech-savvy girl who loves to explore new technologies including Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, IoT, Big Data, and ERP.